Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Paulines Media and Book Store

October.20th Friday I visited a chapel tucked away in the back of a christian book and media centre/store. This favorite place was sent to me through Craigs list. This excursion was definitly different from my other outings.Walking into a christian book store in down town Chicago (Michigan Ave and WAshington) was bizarre. I walked in and there was a nun working behind the counter who was very young and pretty. I took off my hat and followed the instructions to walk to the back of the store and look for door labeled "chapel". I opened the door to find a small religious shrine/room with four chairs and two kneeling stands. There was one guy in there with a guitar who was praying so I sat at the back quietly and waited for him to leave so I could take a picture of the room. He left about 10minutes later and I stayed for another 15minutes about. I was raised as a Catholic but no longer go to church or believe or practice it. So being in that chapel did bring me back to a place in my past. I stayed because it did bring me a sense of peace and quietness and allowed me to sit still without the feeling of waiting which is why i liked church. it allows you to relax. I miss feeling connected to things. I want to be spiritual. Ive really turned into a jaded person. But also the religious aura really freaks me out. It was definitly a nice escape from the outside world which I find to weird to go to again. My visit was ended by two men entering the small room. Too close for comfort or relaxation so I left and I new they thought I was some honest young christian city girl which really bothered me. I didnt meet anyone through this excursion because it wasnt a social event and it didnt make sense to the context so I just didnt force it. I also felt very quiet when I left so no video footage or meeting of people through that one. It is a free quiet room to go to if you dont mind the religious iconography.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home