Tuesday, October 03, 2006

new suggestions of favorite spots

1.Sounds like a very great project, anxious to see the outcome.
AS an artist myself and Chicago resident for 10 years now, I have to say my favorite place is the Lake, on A BOAT out about10 football fields taking in our beautiful city from that very vantage point.

2.Hi Sarah,
Welcome to Chicago. I'm a drummer that has been
meeting with Jesse about once a week. I decided to
avoid the obvious landmarks and send you to a place
that is more true to Chicago's history. My charge is
that you visit the 106th street bridge over the
calumet river. Go during the day, walk out to the
center of the bridge, and listen to the sounds for at
least 20 minutes. I know you don't have a car, but
believe me it is worth it if you can get down there.
Best Regards,Joshua

3.So I've narrowed it down to five.
Favorite places in Chicago
1. Forest preserve (in part because it doesn't feel like the city)
2. any alley under the el tracks (becuse it feels so chicago)
3. the leadway (because I've spent so much time there)
4. Korean bbq: San Soo Gab San (because it's such a unique experience)
5. Devon Avenue (It's this kind of culture I'll miss most when I leave)

So do any of those speak to you? I'd be glad to take you to any of
these places. If you need me to narrow it down to one I will.

4.I don't know if this counts because it is actually in Wilmette, but my favorite place is the Baha'i Temple, off of Sheridan Rd. I am a Baha'i and this is the only Baha'i Temple in North America (there is one on every continent). There are 9 sides, symbolic that people of all Faith back grounds and all walks of life can come from different paths and yet still worhip together. It is a recognizable Chicago landmark even though it is not in Chicago.
Good luck with your project, it is a great idea and once you organize it with pictures etc, it will be a great resource to newcomers! (and old-timers!)

Best, misha

5.Sarah,
A good place to get a cross-section of Chicago's
demographic is the Metcalfe Federal Building at 77
West Jackson. I am Canadian, so you know I don't
understand Americans sometime. So I was stuck there
waiting for my social security card for two hours, not
only did I learn what Chicago is all about (by
eavesdropping), stared at some Chicago babies,
harrassed by a Chicago security guard, and most
importantly, caught a Chicago flu from the waiting
room!
Not only that, the security guard asked me to leave my
multitool outside of the building, so I hid it next to
a fire hydrant. When I came out, it was gone! Taken by
some Chicago pedestrians, I'm sure. Thanks, federal
center!
On the way back to the school, I walked past a place
called Chicken Planet. It looks like a corridor filled
with rotisseries, and it smells great. Wasn't hungry
at the time but the name caught my attention. Just
thought I'd mention some positive things about today.
Chris

6.A must see is the Smith Museum of Stained Glass Windows at Navy Pier. A
true
gem.

7.i know a place where horses leap and white stallions dance, where are
is a silent dialogue and the handsome cab horses sleep. Come visit and
ill show you. im around on mondays, tuesdays, fridays and weekends.
sneek into a show this saturday at 2pm. take the brown line train to
sedgwick, go south to schiller, on your left. youll see what i mean.
good luck and take care
~Natalia

Noble Horse Theatre
1410 N orleans
Chicago IL
60610
312. 266. 7878

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home